4萬

積分

論壇元老

積分
跳轉到指定樓層
樓主
發表於 2018-12-14 12:19:54 | 只看該作者 回帖獎勵 |倒序瀏覽 |閱讀模式
分享到: 更多
” Had I done something else with my life I would have obviously made more money, but then I would have only been improving myself and family… by helping children I am helping society, and since they are tomorrow’s future, the world.” Gladys AccraGrowing up in the Dominican Republic, Gladys Accra always had a leaning towards working with children. It is little wonder then that on completing high school she began a career in that area and shortly after had five of her own.But never in her wildest dreams did she imagine that she would have sole responsibility for more than sixty children on a daily basis.As administrator of the Joshua’s Children Home on Thomas Street “Aunty Gladys” as she is fondly called, is nurse, teacher, mother, social worker and friend to the scores of children that are under her care.For many of them, she is all they have, and the love, affection and respect with which they respond to her communicates the appreciation they feel for this woman who has put aside her personal aspirations in dedication of her life to ‘helping children in need.”The material rewards are nonexistent so she has nothing to show for the past fourteen year’s investment in the orphanage.However the knowledge that she plays an integral role in being a safety net for thousands of children in times of need keeps her going, even when the going gets tough.And there have been tough times. This is because just keeping the doors of the home open is a “big act of faith” as Aunty Gladys puts it.The only reliable source of income to the facility is government’s $100,Wholesale Jerseys Free Shipping,000 per year.Apart from that, the entity is totally dependent on donations from benevolent citizens and organizations.Kaieteur News caught up with this week’s Special Person yesterday in the dining room of the home where she was personally overseeing that each child ate dinner.During the meal there was a surprise visit from Food for the Poor to donate toys to the children.“Sometimes it’s a close call, some days I would notice that milk or some other food supply is running low or a bill date is near due and I obviously would be worried, but persons always come through for us with donations to keep us going, ” she noted.Gladys was sort of thrust into working with the home shortly after her return to Guyana with her family in 1992 when the ‘Unification Church’ of which she is a member asked her to ‘help out.’Back then, the home housed just about 25 children on an ‘on and off’ basis and catered to mostly relatives of members.Almost immediately, Gladys began devising a silent plan to improve the facilities and possibly expand its services given the critical need for such homes in Guyana. “I wanted the place to be more child-friendly and comfortable”That opportunity came a while later when she was put in the position of administrator of the home. The home now has a capacity accommodation of 70 and has been expanded to include a boys’ dormitory.With the assistance of her husband Clifford, the home has adopted a policy of not turning any child away regardless of the time of night.” Anytime a child comes to this home it is because they need somewhere to stay… so how can we deny a child a roof over their heads and a meal?.. I could never do that.”Aunt Gladys Accra and her wardsBut a meal and a roof over their heads are far from all that the children who live there get.Gladys goes out of her way to ensure that regardless of background, ethnicity or situation, each child that comes through the doors receives an education and tangible support in areas where they are most vulnerable and lacking.Children of single parents who have difficulties caring for them form the majority of the residents of the Joshua House.Then there are those who have been abused and are referred by the Welfare Department of the Ministry of Human Services and Social Security. Such cases are the most difficult to deal with since these little victims display socialization inadequacies.This forces Auntie Gladys to act in the role of a counselor, since no professional counselor is available to deal with these children.“I have other choice. I talk to them with wisdom from God and try to help them through whatever they are dealing with. I also pray with them a lot… it’s not always easy, many of these children are scarred emotionally for life because of what they have experienced and coping with them is very challenging but I have dedicated my life to helping them and I do that the best way I can.Gladys recalled the case of three toddlers being brought to the home by a neighbour after their mother had run away to be with another man who did not want them.Five years later the trio is in school and calls her ‘mom’ and her husband ‘dad.’Then there is the little girl who just recently was brought to the home after being sexually abused for years by her stepfather and brother. While she has not yet completely adjusted, and is not doing so well in school, Aunty Gladys has not given up on her and continues to work with her.“The state that some of these children are brought here in brings tears to my eyes. A little girl was brought here after her teacher noticed that she couldn’t use her hands at schools… upon checking it was found that the child’s hands had been severely damaged by her mother who had pounded it with a hammer because the child ate some peanut butter without permission… another six-year-old was burnt severely because he dared to interfere with his mother’s hair products… when they come I embrace them and show them love, it doesn’t matter how long they stay here, once they are here I ensure that despite what else happens to them in life they must know that persons can love them because they are special.”Describing what a regular day is like for her, Aunty Gladys related that she gets up at five o’clock each morning to start breakfast for her charges. Then its devotion and discussion time with the females, while her husband reciprocates with the males.This time allows for candid discussions on matters affecting the young women, and since moral values are high on the agenda of the home, imparting same to them.It’s then time for what she calls her ‘mommy role’ when she helps the kids get themselves together to prepare for school.“Many of them (especially the smaller ones) can’t find a sock or a book and I help them do that. Then I retire to the front desk to give out lunch money and pencils and whatever else they need…and it’s a lot of Aunty Gladys this or Aunty Gladys that… that’s the time I’m told about the money for the test papers and the hot dog sales and everything else that require money” she said with a laugh.Once the children are off, it’s time to immediately begin the preparation of lunch for the huge brood, many of whom return for lunch.Then there is the mending and washing and cleaning that has to be done before the dinner preparations begin.Another round of discussions and devotions follow, before ‘lights out’ time at nine-thirty, when a tired ‘Auntie Gladys’ retires to bed with her family in the front of the building, to garner enough rest to begin her routine all over again the next day.Reflecting on her life, she noted that the going may not always be easy but she doubts that she would have enjoyed the same sense of fulfillment from doing anything else.” Had I done something else with my life I would have obviously made more money, but then I would have only been improving myself and family… by helping these children I am helping society, and since they are tomorrow’s future, the world”According to her, if given the opportunity to live life again she would do the same thing but have a larger orphanage so that she could care for more children.At 55, Aunty Gladys does not even think about retiring and while some days the chores take their toll on her she noted that, “it’s a small price to pay to bring a smile to these children’s faces”.In our eyes, that makes you a special person ‘Aunty Gladys.’  If you know someone who deserves to be featured as a special person, call our offices on telephone numbers 225-8458, 225-8491 or 641-5006
回復

使用道具 舉報

您需要登錄後才可以回帖 登錄 | 立即註冊

本版積分規則

重要聲明:本討論區是以即時上載留言的方式運作,A-Plus補習討論區對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,讀者及用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,讀者及用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者及用戶發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。A-Plus補習討論區有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言(刪除前或不會作事先警告及通知),同時亦有不刪除留言的權利,如有任何爭議,管理員擁有最終的詮釋權。用戶切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。

手機版|小黑屋|A-Plus互動討論區    

GMT+8, 2024-7-1 23:07 , Processed in 0.057867 second(s), 26 queries .